When another driver slams into your car, you’re suddenly faced with a million thoughts. What happened? What should you do? What are your rights? Who is going to pay for all your time missed from work and medical costs?
Car accidents have serious, long-lasting consequences. You may have significant—possibly permanent—damage to your back, neck, or brain after a crash. You may suffer from shattered bones due to the impact. Any catastrophic injury needs to be cared for immediately, and the person who caused the injury must be held responsible.
Your Rights As a Beaumont Car Accident Victim
Although it may seem obvious that the driver who caused the crash should be held accountable for your injuries, many times that just doesn’t happen. Innocent drivers are often forced to pay for the mistakes of someone else. To prevent this from happening to you, you need to know your rights.
Here are a few things you can do to protect yourself and your rights after a serious crash:
- Immediately call the police. Having a police report document what happened at the scene of the crash is a strong piece of evidence for what happened in the crash.
- Avoid unnecessary communication—such as conversation about what happened in the crash—with the other driver or any witnesses. This could harm you later.
- Get all contact information from the witnesses and the other driver.
- Call and let your own insurance company know you were in a car crash.
- Gather evidence from the crash, such as taking pictures of the vehicles, other property damage, the crash site, and your injuries.
- Keep a detailed journal of all of your symptoms, injuries, medical treatments, and costs.
- Follow all doctor recommendations and attend all follow-up appointments.
Following these guidelines immediately after the crash will help you later in your settlement when it comes time to prove who was at fault for the crash. Unfortunately, even when you follow these guidelines and do everything you’re supposed to do, the insurance adjuster will still try to find ways to prove you had some portion of fault in the collision.
A Car Accident Lawyer Can Defend Your Rights
Having a Beaumont car accident lawyer on your side can help! When you allow our family to represent your family through the settlement process, you can ensure that your rights are not violated and that you get the justice you deserve. Call us today to find out how we can help you get what you deserve in your settlement claim.